A hobby called Reading!!


The whole world opened to me, when I learned to read’-
Mary McLeod Bethune.

Today I was just browsing through the internet and came across this wonderful quote by this wonderful American lady. This one somehow struck with me as I could identify what she wanted to convey with this.

All of us learn to read in our school days and study to pass and get a good job but once we are out of college, we seem to forget about this amazing activity called reading. At least I forgot until I came across an amazing book titled ‘The Alchemist’ written by Paulo Coelho.

For the starters, it’s a story of a boy who is travelling across the country in search of a treasure and ultimately he finds that treasure at the very place he started that journey. This is one book I can say which changed the way I see and think. Before that I never realized that reading books can have such an impact on a person.

For the people out there who loves to read, I would just say that guys I adore you. I know that for a reader asking him if he likes reading is like asking him if he likes breathing. And for those who thinks it’s a waste of time, folks let me tell you that you have no idea what a wonderful experience of life you are missing.

So here, I would give you few benefits of reading a book or anything worth reading for that matter and you yourself will feel after that your life has become a better place after you start reading.

1) Knowledge-
As the epic saying goes-‘Knowledge is the power’ and knowledge can come only when you read about the people, events, things, places etc.

2)  A good hobby-
Reading is a hobby which requires no one for your company. You can do it alone without disturbing others plans. You don’t need a proper set up or place or equipment to do it. All you need a really nice book or a magazine and a place to sit.

‘If a book is good, I can read it while hanging upside down as well.. J

 3) Good utilization of time-
We spend a lot of our time in travelling, standing in the queues or waiting for our appointments. Instead of simply getting bored and absorbing all the nonsense happening around, you can make good use of your time.

4)   Increase your network :
I felt this strange when this happened with me initially but people can actually bond over their favorite books, favorite authors. In fact I have few friends whom I met at an event and now we have a whats app group.

5)   Self-improvement:
This is one thing I genuinely love about books as they help us in seeing the things from a different perspective and help us in improving the way we think. And as everybody knows- ‘A man is what he thinks’.

Well I can go on and on about the benefits of reading but if I need to sum it up in one single sentence it would be a quote from iconic Irish writer Sir Richard Steele:
‘Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.’


Happy reading Guys!!

Comments

Popular Posts